Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Vocation - God's Love

"I lay down my life for my sheep;
- no one takes it from me;
I lay it down freely.
                                                    John 10:15, 18

During morning prayer I read the above scripture and was reminded of my vocation. Jesus, the Good Shepherd laid down his life for our salvation; expiating our sins. His total commitment to others was God's love in action. Blessed Mother Teresa's life too was God's love in action, dedicated to serving the poorest of the poor. That's why she is being 'fast-tracked' to sainthood - as a modern model of selfless giving and love.

Not that I expect to lose my life for others, or plan on moving to a slum to serve God's least children (or ever expect to be tracked, in anyway, to sainthood). Most of us are not called to serve in those ways, but we should be open to how the Holy Spirit will move our hearts to do God's will.  We must listen for the call of God's Spirit in our hearts and discern the challenges He places before us in serving those whom we encounter on our journey to Life Eternal.

God's love is in how we give of ourselves for others. This is how we return God's love for us. Loving God and Loving one another is one and the same.  We show our love of God in the love we show to one another, especially in our love for the least of His children.

The talents we are given should further the Kingdom of God. We use our hands, our heads, our feet, our backs and especially our love to bring God's love into this world. Not that we are called to do great things, but great things are accomplished through the love we show in our service to one another. Blessed Mother Teresa said it best, "In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love." 


When I think of my vocation I am reminded to do this - to use my talents to do small things with great love, to listen to the Holy Spirit speak to my heart and to discern the path God has chosen for me to follow . This is how I can freely lay down my life for others.

Peace,
Deacon Don

No comments:

Post a Comment